Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My First Scissor Fob

If you have been around my blog long enough, then you most certainly know that I don't stitch smalls. I view myself as finishing handicapped. I thought it was because I did not own a sewing machine, and was not planning to buy one because I had no idea where I could put it and use it here (I totally take over this very large three bedroom colonial house - I need to leave some space for things other than stitching, and so far, I am not succeeding). But, I did set a goal for this year to develop some skills. With the year ending and the holidays (and many birthdays) approaching, I recently started to study online tutorials with the intensity that I remember I had when I was in graduate school and studying for my counseling licensing exam. Well... here is my first effort, and of course, I did not keep it - one typically does not keep smalls :-) (OK, I did stitch a small Lizzie Kate freebie into an ornament - will show when I remember to photograph it - came out fine except my ribbon is off center so it hangs funny... to be expected, right??). Anyhow, Su received it today (her birthday was Sunday - thank you again, postal service, for being so slow overseas)... and now I can show it... does it look OK?? I am very self-concious about it! I made at least two rookie mistakes - I made the ribbon too long (so I added the wooden beads and hoped they might make the ribbon at least look smaller - and add some texture to the acorn theme), and I totally forgot to put initials or the year or anything on the back (which is blank evenweave - I haven't yet been brave enough to use cotton fabric as the backing yet).

Acorns and Threads Scissor Fob

Jeannette Douglas Designs

Chart is a freebie found: here

Sugar Maple Fabrics 28 ct Winter Wheat Lugana

Gloriana Silk, DMC Floss, Mill Hill Petite Beads

Stitched and Finished on 10/8/06

It is Paradigm Lost Tuesday again... here is my weekly update. Still loving working on this one very, very much.

It is New DVD Release Tuesday, and Mike picked up one I have been dying to see: The Break-Up - we must find time this week to watch this one - I am such a big Jennifer Aniston fan :-)
Daylily: Prague Spring

Stitched on today: Women of the Mayflower at work (bearing in mind that I must finish this one this year, I already put the date on it!) and Paradigm Lost

36 comments:

BeckySC said...

I'm so proud of you-the fob is gorgeous! Congratulations :)

CindyMae said...

I think the fob turned out just lovely! Great job and Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Your fob looks terrific!! Great job!

Sharon said...

It's beautiful-you did a wonderful job! Frankly, I would not have thought it was your first!

Rowyn said...

What a great first scissor fob finish. It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Cute fob, and hey, there is nothing wrong with your finishing. It is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Ahm for your first attempt Carol, expect a package of my things to finish off for me :)

lobea2004 said...

Carol, your first scissor-fob is beautiful! I can't beleive it's your first...congrats!

Anne S said...

Your first fob is an absolute masterpiece - it truly is exquisite! YOu did an awesome job - good on you :D (puts my first fob well and truly to shame!)

I saw Paradigm Lost as a finished piece at The Broderie yesterday, and I thought of you and Jo ... it's a HUGE piece!! :D

Chiara said...

Your scissor fob is lovely ;o)
Great work!!
Cheers

Unknown said...

The fob is beautiful! I saw it on Sue's blog, but you couldn't see the beading... which is lovely! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

Your fob is great, stitching and finishing. And PL is coming along nicely & quickly :)

Concetta said...

Your scissor fob is so beautiful, Carol! I can't believe that's a first go -- I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future.

This inspires me to have more of a go at finishing too, because I've been feeling the same way as you about my finishing skills...

Cathy said...

It looks great, Carol. Good job on the finishing.

Anonymous said...

I'm still a bit intimidated by the whole exchange thing (I mean, heck, they look great on a BLOG ... :o) so I haven't actually done any of these, but I would hope my first try could come out even 1/2 as good as this. It truly looks great! As you can tell my all the comments!!

mainely stitching said...

It looks like you've been making fobs professionally for years! That's a beauty!! :)

Nicole said...

Your fob is beautiful! You are not finishing handicapped! I feel the same way sometimes, but still manage to do ok! :)

Dianne said...

Very good Carol! You know if you can cross stitch and do specialty stitches, you can certainly do a lovely handstitching job, which you proved. I don't use my sewing machine a lot, but you can use it and tuck it away in a closet when you are finished.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your scissor fob! And I like mine to have longer ribbons so it looks perfect to me. :-)

Kitty Couture said...

What a beautiful fob! You did a great job with it! :D

Shelleen said...

you did a great job on the fob

Susimac said...

I adore it - its perfect, stop stressing, now I have to make sure mum or Helen don't try to whisk it away - you would never ever know that that was your first fob - you are definitely hiding your light under a bushel with the smalls finishing (((HUGS))) xx

Karoline said...

Your fob is gorgeous, congratulations

Svenja said...

The fob is beautiful! I'm looking forward to see more of these in your blog. :)

Christine S said...

Your fob turned out absolutely gorgeous!! I love the beaded edging!

Annemarie said...

You should NOT be worried about your finishing skills. This fob looks absolutely stunning, and I'm sure Su is thrilled to bits! I'm working on my umpteenth fob, and it doesn't look anywhere near this perfect!

Anna van Schurman said...

Fob-ulous!

Wait until you see real handicapped finishing on my blog. Full report Monday

Barb said...

Great Scissor fob. Your WIP is coming along nicely too.

catandturtle said...

Carol, your first scissor fob is beautiful. I love it. And PL is incredible. Ann.

Lelia said...

YAY! WOOT! Your fob is awesome.

[I don't have a sewing machine either!]

I post pone finishing as long as possible. Sometimes I think the finishing takes longer to accomplish than stitching the whole design

Joanie said...

h-e-l-l-o....your fob is gorgeous! You are NOT finishing challenged!

It's beautiful...you should be proud of yourself and I know that Su is tickled with it!

Meari said...

The fob looks really nice. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Carol you did an AWESOME job on the fob. I hope you'll make many more "smalls" now you've got your feet wet.

Rachael said...

The Fob is lovely- you did a great job. Doesn't it feel good to conquer a new skill?

Anonymous said...

You did an absolutely perfect job, Carol. Congratulations! :) Have we sucked you in yet?

Senorita Stitches said...

You did a great job on your fob! I think the added beads was a brilliant save. My rookie mistake on my first one was making the attaching cord too short. I just figured once it was put on the scissor it would not be coming off -ever! :) lol. Thanks for stitching this one because now I have a whole new set of freebies I didn't even know existed.