Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A late birthday gift for Karen...

Karen just sent me a lovely email to let me know that my belated birthday gifts for her arrived today :-) I sent her some gifts back in May for her real birthday, but had not had a chance to stitch her anything in time for her big day. I sent her a few more gifts, as well as this little scissor pocket. Karen loves green, and when I saw this DMC Color Variations in the store, it jumped out at me.... glad she likes it :-)
Red Desert Scissor Pocket

The Cat's Whiskers Design Studio

28 ct Confederate Gray Cashel Linen, DMC Color Variations 4065 - Morning Meadow


I was really sad to read this tonight - I know that Jen Aikman-Smith has long spoken out against piracy and illegal copyright violations of her charts (and the charts of other designers). Now she is leaving us and will only sporadically gift us with sample charts or put designs in magazines. She will still teach too, but I think she pretty much only teaches in Canada. Jen, I will miss you and Dragon Dreams so very much. I have purchased all of your dragons and castles - and love them all... thank you for all you have done and for your whimsical work.

Getting ready now for a late baseball game and going to put down Leslie's Neighborhood Round Robin for the night (no photo this time) and pick up my HoE Summer Quaker Exchange - it needs my attention right now...

Stitched on today: Stitched on Leslie's Neighborhood Round Robin, and stitched on HoE Summer Quaker Exchange **Mailed out a gift today

19 comments:

Karin said...

It's a lovely scissor pocket - and Karen is a lucky recipient!

Kate said...

What a beautiful gift! The paler colours on the scissor pocket is so elegant. Thanks for the news about Jennifer, I'm so sad to hear we won't be seeing too many more of her wonderful designs.

Anonymous said...

The scissor pocket for Karen is lovely, very pretty colour :)

Anonymous said...

Great stitching on that pretty scissor pocket!

I'm also a great fan of Jennifer's designs and was saddened to see the news yesterday.

Jenn said...

What a pretty scissor pocket you made for Karen.

Cathy said...

I love the threads! They work perfectly for this design.

Karoline said...

The scissor pocket is gorgeous, congratulations

Anonymous said...

Beautiful gift Carol! Ann

Sally said...

A lovely scissor pocket Carol. I bet Karen loved it.

I am so sad to hear the news about Jennifer. I've stitched a few of her charts and still have one waiting in my stash.

Yasmin said...

You have done it again! I have always admire your work and this is such a beautiful scissor case!Love the colour you chose and your stitching is great too.

Stephanie said...

Ooh, that floss is just gorgeous - what a lovely treat for Karen!

Jenna said...

Another gorgeous scissor pocket! I have yet to stitch this design, but you've given me such yummy ideas of colors and such to play with. You are really making that Confederate Gray linen from Joke work for you. :)

Jenna said...

BTW, check my blog. I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award. Hope you haven't already been nominated. :)

mainely stitching said...

I love the colors you've used for your scissor pocket!!!

I thought Jennifer made this announcement a couple of years ago - I remember a big hue and cry on a lot of groups I belong to. I'm really sorry that she's been so badly hit by piracy. :(

Marie said...

What a beautiful scissor pocket!

It really is a shame that not only are LNS closing, but now we have designers turning off the lights.

Anonymous said...

The scissor pocket is lovely, and the muted greens are gorgeous! Congratulations on a beautiful finish.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Beautiful scissor pocket ... off to check out what Jen had to say. I had no clue!

Hazel said...

Gorgeous gorgeous scissor pocket! How sad for the designer to have to give up. I know a lot of people who are into her designs. xx

Kim B said...

What a beautiful pocket! And that is sad that a designer is packing up :/