Tuesday, January 23, 2018

January Ornament Finish

 And finished!  At last, I have finished my first ornament for the Christmas Ornament SAL with Andrea.  This one was an adventure for me.  I cannot locate my DMC 169.  It must be kitted somewhere, and I subbed it with CC Blue Moon.  Am very pleased with that.  The chart is from PNPS 2017 Christmas-Winter Issue and is by Nikyscreations.  Unfortunately, the chart was poorly edited.  There are no instructions that this was to be stitched with one strand of floss (oh well...), had to guess what color to back stitch the wing, and the wing was not properly outlined on the chart.  Muddled through, and am content.  I am still quite fixed on small ornaments with beaded edgings.  I find I can always fit these on the tree no matter how loaded up my tree gets every year now 😁
I also have my first 2018 finish to share.  This is Cherry Heart Design's Granny Goes Large.  I worked this up with my Paint Box DK Rainbow Color Pack.  This huge bag of yarn simply had no place to live in my house, therefore this blanket was born.  It's big, bright, a bit dizzying and hard to photograph 😎.  This year will be a stash busting year for me.  Whenever possible, I plan to use what I have on hand (thus the floss substitution noted above) and see how much stash I can clear out.  While we all think our cross stitch stash can get large and take up space, I don't think it can ever hold a candle to how much space yarn takes up... 😂

8 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your ornament turned out great; I like your floss substitution. Your granny blanket is awesome. Bet it is nice and warm! Way to go!

Cole said...

Great finishes Carol! And I know what you mean, once you start collecting a yarn stash, it kind of needs its own room! But it's so much fun ;o)

Carla said...

Love your little angel ornament! And I really like the granny square blanket, it's so colorful!

Katrina said...

A lovely little angel ornament Carol. I usually leave starting my yearly ornament stitching until February but I've made a start on this year's list!
Love the granny blanket too :)

Daffycat said...

A darling angel! Wow, awesome blanket! How long does that take to create?

Carol said...

Hi Daffycat, the blanket does not take very long. It is practically mindless to do, round after round of granny stitch, then a sweet little wavy edge :-)

Sarah Beth’s Stitching said...

This is so cute and I love the granny squares.

Andrea said...

A beautiful ornament. Love the blanket too.