Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Beautiful Exchange and very sad news to share

Today I received this really lovely ornament from Joke for the HoE XMas Birds Christmas Ornament Exchange.  I really love it.  This is Winter Song by Primrose Needleworks from the JCS 2011 Christmas Ornament Issue.  I had it on my "to do" list, but am thrilled to remove it now that I have this perfect one from Joke.  I am going to love displaying this every year - thank you again Joke :-)
And the sad news....  here is my Gig.  Gig was born on February 28, 2001 and is a Cream Exotic Persian.  I took this photo of him last Tuesday while we were waiting for his vet to come in and talk to me.  I was bored and did not realize at the time how important this photo would be to me.  He and I were waiting because he had spent the previous night at the emergency vet, having seen his regular vet the evening before.  Gig had developed  a limp and I took him in for a wellness check.  What we learned was that he had an enlarged heart and pulmonary edema.  He was sent to the emergency vet for overnight stabilization - lasix (a diuretic to draw the fluid away from his heart) and oxygen to stabilize his breathing.  I picked him up in the AM and was sent back to our regular vet, which was when I took this photo. She shared with me that his bloodwork was excellent, and he needed an ultrasound the next day.  That did not go well.  Gig never showed as having a heart murmur, so none of the vets in the practice ever picked up that he had heart disease.  But he did - and it was fairly advanced.  The worst of it was that he showed evidence in his left atrium of blood thickening and was at risk of throwing a clot.  He came home from his ultrasound on Wednesday and deteriorated rapidly.  He suddenly just could not walk.  His right hind leg would buckle under him.  You see, I had taken him to an emergency vet 3-4 weeks ago after we saw him open mouth breathing very heavily at bedtime one night.  I immediately got dressed and had Mike put him in his carrier.  We discovered that while panting, he had wet our bed.  That vet had no clue what was wrong as he had stabilized by the time I got there and his heart sounded normal.  Well, that was a fateful night for Gig.  He had thrown a clot right then and there - so much for risk, the damage was already done.

Yesterday I drove him to his vet and he was euthanized.  It had to be done.  He was miserable and not ambulatory.  I spent four days syringe feeding him food and water.  The meds he had to take were tough on him.  He gave up.  He had no chance.  We spent Sunday saying goodbye to him.  I stayed with him while he passed.  He passed with grace and was so beautiful in his death.  He simply lay peacefully, his eyes dilated and my vet whispered "I love you Gig" and then "He's gone now."  Many kisses later, I left.  Tears came later, I know he is at peace now.  He will come home by way of ashes in a week or two.  We are very sad here.  This was very sudden.  I really miss my little boy who always slept tucked up against my hip in our bed.  I miss his deep throaty voice. I just plain old miss him.

37 comments:

Barbi said...

So sorry :(

Jeanne said...

I'm so sorry Carol. I know from experience how very painful it is. At least you gave him a great home and all the love you could while he was on this earth. Every pet should have as good of a life.

That's a lovely ornament and so nice to get something you already had on your list to stitch. Take care.

Cole said...

So sorry Carol, I can tell you loved him very much. Blessings xo

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

{{{Carol}}} - my heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Margaret said...

Carol, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how heartbroken you must be.

Deborah said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Louise said...

Carol, love your ornament(s), they are so pretty and will make your tree look gorgeous this year. Sorry to hear about your kitty.

Marsha said...

It's so hard to lose a friend when you're not expecting it. So, so sorry.

valerie said...

Beautiful exchange! I am so sorry to hear about Gig. *hugs*

Rowyn said...

So sorry to read about the loss of your gorgeous Gig, Carol.

Giovanna said...

I'm so sorry, Carol - hugs.
Joke's ornament is just lovely.

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

I am so sorry to read of your loss. Every pet owner has to make this devastating decision, but I feel it is the last loving service we can pay to our little much loved pet. I am thinking of you. Irene xxx

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Carol. My thoughts are with you! Take care.

Erica said...

So sorry for your loss Carol! I lost my darling Callie last August in similar circumstances - I can sympathize with your deep sorrow. You made the right choice for poor Gig, but it doesn't make it any easier to bear, does it? Above all though, Gig was deeply loved and cared for and gave you just as much love and care in return. That's a wonderful thing!

Erica said...

I am so sorry! We just lost our little Willie, I know how it hurts.

Edgar said...

So very sorry Carol - I know from very recent experience how painful it is to loose such a close member of your family!! {{{{BIG HUGZ}}}

dixiesamplar said...

Carol, my heart is breaking for you...we just went through the pain of having two pets put to sleep in less than a month, so I truly know the pain and loss you are experiencing! Gi is in a much better place now and will always be thankful to you for the love and caring you showed him during his life with you. Our pets, like our children, are a gift from God and a lesson in unconditional love! So sorry for your loss my friend.

Joke said...

Oh dear Carol, I can imagine how you miss him! Take care, hugs,
Joke

Melody said...

Carol, I am so very sorry to read your sad news.

Thinking of you...hugs.

Mindi said...

Carol I'm so sorry about your loss. Its heartbreaking when we have to say goodbye to a loved one. I'm sure Gig is in a happier place now, acting like a kitten.

ollie1976 said...

Oh Carol.....many hugs your way.
-Jen

Katrina said...

Dear Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious kitty. You are in my thoughts dear friend xx

Carla said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Carol :(
Sending hugs to you and Mike

barbara said...

Sending love to you and Mike and the kitties.

Catherine said...

So sorry to read of your loss. Sending hugs....

Sharon said...

Carol, so very sorry for your loss. {{{hugs}}}

Debbie said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Losing pets is so hard...I expect most of us truly understand and feel your loss.

Debbie in Kansas

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news. It's a hard but necessary decision to take. ((( Hugs )))

Daffycat said...

I am so sorry to hear this news, Carol. I pray for your peace and comfort during this sadness in your life.

Karoline said...

I'm so sorry {{{Carol}}}

Marie said...

Oh Carol...my heart aches for you and Mike. I truly understand the sadness that comes with the loss of our furry children. What a beautiful cat, who was blessed to be in your life. The memories are many, the love is immense, and I know the hurt is horrendous. Know that I will be thinking of you and wishing you the strength to endure this loss.

{{{Carol and Mike}}}

Lynn said...

I am so very sorry for you and Mike at the loss of your beloved Gig. My heart breaks for you and a flood of memories return. You see, I had to euthanize my Finnigan in 2009 for the very same reason. However our Finn had already thrown a clot before we knew what was wrong and he could no longer walk. You made the right choice but it doesn't make things any easier. Always remember how loved he was in your home.
Sending lots of hugs your way!

~Narita said...

I lost may favorite kitty 3+ years ago and I understand your sadness. It just isnt fair. A couple months after he died (liver trouble, he was only 16) my daughter brought home a kitty that her friend couldnt find a home for. That sweet little kitty has slept no where but by my side, every night since she arrived. I don't know what I would have done without sweet Annabelle.
I hope that someone or something comes into your life very soon and helps to ease to pain of losing your sweet baby.
~Narita
http://thetwilightthread.blogspot.com/

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am crying after reading your post. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Such a hard decision to make, but a true kindness in the end. Take care Carol {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Valentina said...

Dear Carol, after following your blog in the last 4 years I think I know what your cats mean to you, so I can imagine how hard is all this.
I'm so sorry for the poor Gig. I send you all my blessings.

Lynn said...

I'm so sorry about Gig.

Chantelle said...

I'm so sorry :(