Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A little backstitching goes a long way...

... at least that is what I kept telling myself as I worked on Legends of the Dragons tonight. I also did more of the knotwork with the Waterlilies, but even the smallest amount of backstitching of the knotwork really makes this project look like it is progressing more :-)


Q. What's the largest project you've ever done? What's the smallest?

A. Hmmm... without really knowing measurements, and off the top of my head.. I think my largest, at least in terms of length, was Drawn Thread's The Marriage of Minds.... I don't tend to stitch very small projects.... may well have been a freebie... probably a Lizzie Kate freebie? I don't recall the name, just that it had a witch's hat and I never used it for anything... now that is not much of an answer, I know!! Oh, Village Alphabet by Cross My Heart... I am quite sure that was larger than The Marriage of Minds! That must be my largest piece yet. Here it is - I stitched it in 1999. The Marriage of Minds was stitched in 2003, and I have not yet gotten it framed... but soon! I stitched it for our tenth anniversary... as it says, "ten tempestuous years".

I picked up the floss for Titania, Queen of the Fairies today (except for three that were out of stock... going to have to search my stash for those)... why did I get the floss for this one? I think I miss having a Mirabilia in my rotation, so I am busily getting a bunch kitted up right now! I suppose it is pretty obvious that I really want to start a Mirabilia.... soon... it feels so weird not having one in my rotation right now, but I cannot figure out where to fit one in for a little while...sigh.
I just treated myself to a new kit over on ebay - The Kiss by Maria Van Scharrenburg. I have been watching this for ages, and tonight my clicky finger got the best of me :-) I know exactly where I want to hang this one :-) I like her designs... not much backstitching, so I think it will stitch up fairly quickly (in relative terms, of course - as in being opposite of a Teresa Wentzler design LOL!)


I also picked up the September 2005 issue (#121) of Cross Stitch Collection (UK Magazine) today - I think the "Tree of Life" is fantastic! It is charted for Anchor, though... I will see if I can convert it to DMC....

Mike was a bit too busy yesterday to get my DVDs, as it was New Release DVD Tuesday, but he took care of them for me today - The Ring Two and A Lot Like Love - really looking forward to time to watch them this weekend.

Stitched on today: 17th Century Irish Garden at work, and Legends of the Dragons

14 comments:

Sharon said...

I love this one too Carol - but unlike you - I would know that I wouldn't ever get it finished... But it is a very beautiful kit I also like the others she has done in the series...

BeckySC said...

Oh MY!!! I think I may need to go shopping :)

Your progresses look great :) I DO so love CBS :)

Thanks for sharing, Carol :)

Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

The Kiss is beautiful!! I completed her Butterfly Day last year and loved stitching it. She uses such beautiful colors. Does this one have what my hubby termed "big blue triangles of doom" (on the corners) like her butterfly kits do?:)

Bastet said...

I've been eyeing The Kiss for awhile now. Never got the nerve to spend so much on it...yet. Maybe someday. I have Titania somewhere in my to do pile all kitted up and waiting patiently till I get to her. She is beautiful isn't she...

Unknown said...

Gosh I go away for a few days and look at all the progress you make on all your projects!!! Miracle Butterfly looks really great and Celtic Band Sampler is really coming along!

I haven't stitched in so long ... something about the end of the summer, wanting to be outside more always slows me down but I have the next two days off, hopefully I can fit in a little stitching :)

Katrina said...

Hi Carol, the Kiss is even more beautiful stitched - one of the ladies in my stitching group has stitched it and the colours in it are wonderful.

please don't tempt me by starting Titania, lol, I don't know if I could resist the temptation now I have my fabric for her.

Watch your mail box too, the magazine is on its way :)

Jenn said...

Mmmmm you are tempteing me to do more projects Carol! You can get an Anchor to DMC conversion here.
http://www.lilootes.com/aanchordmc.htm

Anonymous said...

I love The Kiss by MVS too. I had my eye on it for some time, then last year while living in Spain I saw it stitched and it's just gorgeous even more beautiful than in the picture. So now it's in my stash. °Ü°

BeckySC said...

Dragons is looking awesome! :)

I am in on the SAL, but I think I will stitch one of the others...not sure which one yet, but count me in :)

hugs :)

Dawn T. said...

You are doing great on Legends and I can't wait to see you stitch Titania. I have been thinking about buying her but I have managed to restrain myself. :)

Gill said...

Legends of the Dragons is looking great, you are doing a wonderful job. I look forward to seeing your progress on Titania, she is one of my favourites.

Bastet said...

Can I join in on the Celtic Ladies SAL too?
Legends is really starting to take shape.

Bastet said...

Thanks Carol! This will be my first Lavender and Lace project, was hoping that stitching along with others would make it less stressful. I'm going to stitch Celtic Christmas, and the fabric will be Silkweaver's Sudden Storm. It reminds me of some pictures I've seen of Ireland's sky in winter.

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol, I love your village alphabet sampler very much. May I know where could I find it? Was it a pattern? Thanks!