Thursday, May 18, 2006

In the war zone now...

The mayor of Lawrence, Massachusetts has declared a curfew in the evening now due to the damage caused by the flooding of the Merrimack and Spickett Rivers.... many of you know, my primary office is located in Lawrence. Lawrence is an old mill city that is now populated by a mix of caucasian and hispanic people, as well as others... all primarily low income. Violence broke out tonight less than fifteen minutes after curfew started with looting and gunfire. My office is smack in the middle of it all. What is the world coming to now??

I actually stuck to my rotation/SAL schedule tonight and thoroughly loved working on Houses of Hawk Run Hollow tonight! After filling in windows for a bit, I then started on the lower roof just a bit... so it doesn't look like much right now :-) I figure that if I can get enough done on MTM this weekend, I might also put some time in on HOHRH as well. I have missed so many Thursdays already due to MTM, so I am falling a bit behind.

Mike finally transferred the photos he took in Portland, Maine off of his camera and onto my computer, so I have chosen a few to share. This is the Portland Regency, the hotel where we stayed.... see the high curbs? That's what Mike hit with his rim and tire (which got fixed today!!). The hotel used to be an armory and was run by the National Guard. It is right on the seaport, and is very old. I just don't recall how old it is....

And... a photo of Mike's car now properly parked along the curb in front of the hotel! Jenna had asked what kind of car it is - it is a Chrysler 300 C SRT8.... big car, that's for sure! The valet was very kind to let Mike park the car right there for the night. That was a nice thing for him to do!

He also snuck a few photos of me stitching on Quaker Garden in the hotel room... and very intently watching the Red Sox put a severe beating on the Yankees on the TV there in front of me - LOL!! (Mike took all of these photos is high resolution, so I uploaded them in small size - they are all much easier to see if you click on them to enlarge them!!)

Time to go to bed now, for tomorrow I get to drive to work in heavy rain and see if my landlord has done anything at all to get my Haverhill office useable for tomorrow... anyone placing any bets?

Stitched on today: Quaker Garden and Houses of Hawk Run Hollow

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Hi Carol, I've been trying to send you an email and it has been returned three times :) not sure what's going on as I didn't think your email address had changed?

Dianne said...

Oh man, when it rains it pours-literally! I hope things 'clear up' enough for you to get everything settled. You think you are sailing along just fine and something out of your realm interfers.
Best of luck!

Annemarie said...

Carol, I hope everything returns to normal in Lawrence very soon! Love the piccies, and HoHRH is looking so great. The colours worked out pretty well in the end, didn't they?

Kitty Couture said...

Ouch!!! I'm so sorry about the troubles around your office. And I keep my fingers crossed that you find a better office - and landlord!
Wow, you're really having your share of annoyance this week :( I'm so sorry! Thank God we have our stitching to relax in the evening... (((hugs)))

catandturtle said...

Hi Carol. Your stitches are so perfect. How do you stitch? I see you use q-snaps on some pieces. do you use them on all of them? Do you use the sewing method if not using q-snaps? Your pieces always look wonderful.

Susimac said...

Hope everything is OK soon, love the picture of you stitching and watching tv at the same time, I do that all the time LOL!!

mainely stitching said...

Yikes. Scary stuff there in Lawrence. You be careful! Love the pics of Portland and your intent stitching!