Monday, November 07, 2005

Anticipation.... and Disappointment - that's life, right?

Medieval Town Mandala night - didn't really get a lot done, pretty much distracted with watching football. Also, I need to go visit the Yahoo group for this project - I see an area that looks like it needs outlining, and Martina writes nothing about it - I have to cruise over there and see if anyone else has asked about that now...

Warning: I am about to vent - skip if you want..And you probably will want to!! Well, ladies, here is what I think is a decent example of how unlucky I really, really am. My long-awaited Silkweaver Medium Treat Bag finally did arrive today... and not all Medium Treat Bags are created equal, I have discovered. While my fellow bloggers posted lovely fat quarters of Expressions Belfast or Reflections fabrics.... I received a very dull 28 ct Jobelan Solo... I cannot describe it, it is very plain with really no mottling to it and I guess looks a little like well, beige. I also received a 10" x 10" piece of 32 ct natural, a 13" x 18" piece of 32 ct baby lotion and a 9" x 12" piece 32 ct Sandstone (which is silk linen - never touched it before - very stiff). I also received a 9"x13" hand dyed fabric, but again not a named one - just a dull blue 28 ct jobelan solo :-( I don't mean to complain, and you all know I am an upbeat person, but after seeing your bags I feel very let down by mine. There was one highlight in my bag, though. I guess they knew my bag was not as good as the others because they tried to make up for it by adding a 13" x 18" cut of Lakeside Linens 36 ct linen in Vintage Pear... which is very pretty. My expectations here were too high. For days I imagined and wondered what lovely Expressions belfast or Reflections fabric I would receive. Now I know - NONE. I don't win things, and I don't have good luck. **I realize that I do have a lot of lovely hand dyed fabric, and I don't at all mean to sound selfish, but I did pay what everyone else paid, and I just expected what most of you got too :-( Why, at 42 years old, have I not learned not to expect anything?? It's really all my own fault in the end. I did, however, email Silkweaver to ask if they are out of the named fabrics - I stupidly ordered a second bag to give as a gift and fear it will be lousy like this one.

OK, I got some better stash in today, though - it's Monday, that's when stuff comes in here LOL! I got in, at long last, the fat quarter of Mithril 32 ct lugana by Country Stitch - yep, a good candidate for Mermaids of the Deep Blue! Now I feel better! I also received, in the same package as the treat bag but not for reduced shipping, a stunning belfast solo I swooped in on last Tuesday - it is very fiery in plums, reddish and brown tones - I am thinking of it for Feather Fairy. Also, the Flower Seller Kit, Coffee Dragon chart, the linen floss for the flower fairy, and some supplies for Ottawa Sampler came in - Gloriana Silk, Weeks Dye Works and Mill Hill Beads - just waiting on some Needle Necessities #4 Kreinik braid and I can stitch that one now :-)

The dentist called today - my first crown is scheduled for Wednesday, November 16th. That's the tooth with the filling that broke last week. Man, it hurts today - but I couldn't fit in the work until 11/16.... if I seem grumpy for a week, you'll know why :-)
Your Fortune Is

Beauty is only a light switch away.

Stitched on today: Medieval Town Mandala

12 comments:

mainely stitching said...

My bag was no great shakes either. My large piece is a 18x26 "lilac ice" opalescent lugana. Would you be interested in trading? I absolutely do not like lilac, but I do use 'dull' neutrals fairly often. You can email me at chatterton@planet.nl if you're interested.

Kiwi Jo said...

That's not fair Carol :( Next time I'll order one for you and maybe you'll have better luck since I was one of the lucky ones this time.

lobea2004 said...

Oh, Carol, you were really unlucky. I was lucky but I'm waiting for the next medium treat bag and I'm sure I'll not be lucky again...

Gill said...

You seem really upset - sorry you didn't get any nice fabric.

Anne S said...

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your grab bag - I have to admit, it doesn't seem as 'colourful' as others I've seen ... and we all know how much you love your fabbies ;) Fingers crossed the 2nd one will be better :)) I know what you mean, though - I got a pastel pink in my FOTM from Country Stitch ... which would be OK, except that is the only colour I specified when I joined that I totally dislike (they ask you for likes/dislikes) - oh well, it will come in handy for an exchange or something, I'm sure :)

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you didn't get a good treat bag (although, it looks pretty good to me!).

Erin said...

I think I may have a fat quarter of an R&R fabric in my drawer at home....it is linen, and I prefer Jobelan/Lugana (even beiges and blues!). Trade, perhaps?? (I know I'm not the first to ask, and I totally understand if you decided not to do so.)

I know what you mean about the disappointment, though. I got 2 little mystery Solos from Silkweaver on eBay, and one of them was a shade of pink that I don't EVER see me using. <:(

Kitty Couture said...

Oh Carol. I'm sorry to hear you are so disappointed! You have been quite unlucky indeed.

I just received my treat bag (small) and will post a pic to my blog. I'm happy with it; the only disappointment might have come from two very similarly-coloured fabrics (natural and chestnut); but since I was precisely in need of some, I don't mind.
But the thing is, we have different needs & tastes! And since you are most certainly among their best customers, they might have taken your tastes into account (they sure know them, don't they?)

I feel truly sorry for you Carol - getting nice linens is such a passion for you!

I really feel for you and I do hope you won't have any other disappointment any time soon. That tooth ache is trouble enough! :o(

BeckySC said...

(((((((((((((Carol)))))))))))))

Love ya!

Anna van Schurman said...

I'd buy it off you. But you have to keep the piece you like--I wouldn't use it.

Bastet said...

Sorry to hear about the grab bag. But it sounds like the stash that came in more than made up for it! If you're grumpy due to the tooth (or any other reason) we'll understand. we love you. Hugs!

Dani - tkdchick said...

MVM is looking awesome. I wish I wasn't "Chatelaine Burnt Out" or I'd sittch it as well. I'll have to buy the chart when its released!